Hundreds of thousands of teachers have used Bringing Words to Life, a highly practical guide, to help students enlarge their vocabulary and get involved in noticing, understanding, and using new words. Grounded in research, the book explains how to select words for instruction, introduce their meanings, and create engaging learning activities that promote both word knowledge and reading comprehension. The authors are trusted experts who draw on extensive experience in diverse classrooms and schools. Sample lessons and vignettes, children's literature suggestions, end-of-chapter summaries, and "Your Turn" learning activities enhance the book's utility as a classroom resource, professional development tool, or course text.
New to this edition:
- Reflects over a decade of advances in research-based vocabulary instruction
- Chapters on vocabulary and writing; assessment; and differentiating instruction for struggling readers and English language learners, including coverage of response to intervention (RTI)
- Expanded discussions of content-area vocabulary and multiple-meaning words
- Many additional examples showing what robust instruction looks like in action
- Appendix with a useful menu of instructional activities
"One of the best and most influential books ever published on the topic of teaching and developing vocabulary. The second edition is even better than the first - it addresses recent issues such as the Common Core and RTI... Should be required reading for anyone seeking teacher or reading specialist certification."
John Pikuski, PhD, Department of Educational Development (Emeritus), University of Delaware
"The authors' research-based insights and advice about selecting words ans systematically presenting them to learners from all backgrounds are both practical and manageable. Teachers will delight in nurturing a language-rich classroom where students revel in language, read better and deeper, speak effectively, and write with purpose and clarity."
Mary Anne Rossbach, MEd, sixth-grade teacher, Fairfax County (Virginia) Public Schools
Bringing Words to Life
By Isabel L. Beck, Margaret G. McKeown and Linda Kucan
Published by The Guildford Press 2013
First published 2002