Creating Storytellers and Writers is the Talk for Writing guide to how to teach children to love writing stories through telling stories:
• takes you step-by-step through the Talk for Writing process so the children move from imitation to innovation to independent application
• shows you how to put formative assessment at the heart of your teaching
• demonstrates how to make shared writing progressively more challenging moving the children away from the model towards independence
• introduces how to insert free-writing opportunities at the end of each unit so that children can become creative independent writers.
The book contains 2 DVDs to illustrate all stages of the process plus detailed training notes to help you use the resource across a school. In addition, there is a wealth of handouts to help you create your own units including:
• an overview of planning for EYFS to Year 6 showing how to follow-up a storytelling unit with related non-fiction units interspersed with free writing opportunities
• how to box up the underpinning structure of key story patterns, with a simplified version for KS1 and a more sophisticated version for KS2
• includes six model texts
• an appendix of toolkits for the six key story features (settings, suspense, characterisation, dialogue, description and openings & endings) showing what toolkit features to initially co-constuct with classes and how to progressively build on them year on year.
Creating Storytellers and Writers, with 2 DVDs
by Pie Corbett and Julia Strong
Includes 2 DVDs to illustrate the process
Published by Talk for Writing