by Pie Corbett and Julia Strong
Includes 38 film clips to illustrate the process
Published by Talk for Writing 2020
Creating Storytellers and Writers is the Talk for Writing guide to how to teach children to love writing stories through telling stories:
• takes you step-by-step through the Talk for Writing process so the children move from imitation to innovation to independent application
• shows you how to put formative assessment at the heart of your teaching
• demonstrates how to make shared writing progressively more challenging moving the children away from the model towards independence
• introduces how to insert free-writing opportunities at the end of each unit so that children can become creative independent writers.
Our online guide illustrates all stages of the process plus detailed training notes to help you use the resource across a school. In addition, there is a wealth of handouts to help you create your own units including:
• an overview of planning for EYFS to Year 6 showing how to follow-up a storytelling unit with related non-fiction units interspersed with free writing opportunities
• how to box up the underpinning structure of key story patterns, with a simplified version for KS1 and a more sophisticated version for KS2
• a wide range of model text
• an appendix of toolkits for the seven key story features (settings, suspense, characterisation, dialogue, description and openings & endings) showing what toolkit features to initially co-constuct with classes and how to progressively build on them year on year.
If the Basket does not appear automatically, please click Basket in the menu above. For the website to function correctly in future, please request that your IT dept. relax security settings on this site. If you have further issues, please call 07514 034010.