Pie Corbett's groundbreaking Talk for Writing approach has been successfully used by thousands of schools to teach writing creatively in an engaging way that motivates children. In Talk for Writing in the Early Years, Pie and Julia take this multi-sensory approach to Early Years settings introducing a simple way to inspire young children's language development through storytelling.
Children learn language through memorable, meaningful repetition. The Talk for Writing approach enables children to internalise the language of story so that they can imitate it, innovate on it and create their own effective stories independently. Talk for Writing in the Early Years will show you how to put rhyme and story at the heart of your work with children and parents so that young learners' language development and creativity flourishes.
This multimedia resources shows you how to:
• select a story or rhyme the children will enjoy and tell it engagingly, encouraging the children to join in
• use a story map so they can picture what happens
• use actions to reinforce meaning and emphasise key language patterns
• help children build a bank of tales, developing their linguistic repertoire
The 2 DVDs contain:
• footage of Pie Corbett conferences with EY teachers showing Talk for Writing in action
• clips of nursery children engaged in the Talk for Writing approach
• advice on how to use the DVD and handouts to train all staff in the approach
• interviews with parents and nursery school teachers on the impact of Talk for Writing
• 21 stories with story maps
"Pie Corbett and Julie Strong have done it again! A fun, practical, down-to-earth guide to teaching stories and rhymes to young children and their families... a must have for all early years practitioners."
Sarah Collymore, Headteacher, St George's CE Primary, Battersea, UK
"The Talk for Writing project is set in the context of richly varied provision for play and learning in early years settings and successfully involves parents as first educators."
Marian Whitehead, Language and Early Years Consultant, UK
"This wonderful book is a welcome addition to the pioneering Talk for Writing series... An essential handbook for all early years practitioners."
Dr Janet Rose, Principal Lecturer and Award Leader in Early Years Education, Bath Spa University, UK
Talk for Writing in the Early Years, with 2 DVDs
by Pie Corbett and Julia Strong
Includes 2 DVDs to illustrate the process
Published by Oxford University Press 2016